Sunday, July 24, 2022

WIld Animals Throw Wild Parties

 

Hey, hey, Horror Nuts! Welcome to another edition of WTFHM!

So, with the Pandemic still going strong in the U.S. of A., I was quoted as saying that there was only one movie that I would risk my life in a movie theatre for. And that movie, my friends...



Nope starring Daniel Kaluuya, Keke Palmer, Steven Yeun, Barbie Ferreira, Brandon Perea, Michael Wincott, and Keith David.

Yes. I'm jumping right into it this week.




So, this movie JUST came out and normally for new NEW movies that people have been anticipating, I try to keep my reviews as spoiler free as possible. At the very least, I try to save the good parts for you all to experience.


Thanks...
Except this time, Mr. Jordan Peele has made a movie that makes it nearly impossible to talk about without spoiling key plot points...which is gonna make this review quite a challenge.

Here's what I can tell you:


Once upon a time, a family of horse trainers are living their lives when the patriarch dies from a freak accident. And then really weird UFO shit starts happening.


Of course, there is! The problem is that even a vague mention of the rest of the plot is going to give away major spoilers. 

I'm not that mad at that. I mean, I gotta give it up to Jordan Peele for crafting the movie this way. It's frickin' genius.

But anyway...


So, instead, I'm gonna give you 5 hints instead of spoilers this week. Yes, hints. Hey, it'll be fun, trust me.

Okay, so from the trailer we already know the following:

1. Horses
2. UFOs
3. Daniel Kaluuya and Steven Yeun
4. Keke Palmer on 11

Right. Moving on.




1. The Title of this Blog Entry is a Major Plot Point

I almost named this week's blog something else entirely, but I realized that Jordan Peele himself gave this clue at the premiere during an interview with RDC world's Mark Phillips so I didn't feel so bad about letting this one go.

But even telling you that much won't spoil it until you watch the movie. I didn't even put it together after I was on my way home.




2. Something in These Posters is Important to the Plot

All I'll say is that it's in every one of shots. You'll know it when you see it.




3. Anime

Okay, so I have no idea if Jordan Peele did this on purpose. Like there are definitely western and certain horror directors' influences mixed in with this movie, but there are definitely subtle anime influences in this movie, too. But they are very subtle. In fact, I didn't catch them until my daughter said after the movie, "Jeez if Jordan Peele wanted to make an anime, he should have just done that."

So, anime fans, look out for those references (especially you old heads out there).



4. Art Imitates Life

So, this one might be one just for the old heads. There are several references to a particular real-life event that happened way back in the 90s. The person involved in the event was interviewed by Oprah and I kind of feel like if you weren't around when this whole thing happened, you might not get it right off.

But, yeah, certain things happen in this movie that are clearly a reference to this real-life event. Google it after you watch the movie.




5. Plastic is Bad for the Environment

Did you know that most fish in the ocean consume plastic because of pollution?

(Sorry, that's all I got. This is a big clue, so I can't really say much more than that.)




But was this movie any good?  I mean, if you've been reading this blog for any length of time, you already know how I feel about Jordan Peele's movies.


Like, in the world of horror, he really is elevating the game and Nope is no exception.

So, OBVIOUSLY:


Next week's Movie!

I'm thinking maybe Black Phone even though I haven't read the book and it is a Joe Hill joint.  

See you next week!

O~
  *

No comments:

Post a Comment