Sunday, January 30, 2022

Chex Mix Horror Movie

 



Hey, hey, Horror Nuts!  Welcome to another edition of WTFHM!

Okay, so in my hometown of Detroit, MI, liquor stores and gas stations are all purpose places.  I can't say for anywhere else in the United States, but generally speaking liquor stores and gas stations in the inner city are typically places where you can do more than just buy liquor and get gas.

Like, a short list that I've witnessed would include:
-- Pay your cellphone/utility bill
-- Buy groceries
-- Get new clothes/Lingerie
-- Buy toys
-- Get a Tattoo
-- Get a massage



And the list goes on.

One might suggest that the average neighborhood Liquor store/Gas station has entirely too much going on at the end of the day. And you might be right. I've been in places where I only knew I wasn't in a mall was because I saw gas pumps outside. Case in point:

This week's Movie!



We Need To Do Something starring Sierra McCormick, Vinessa Shaw, Pat Healy, Lisette Alexis, John James Cronin, and Ozzy Osbourne.



Yeah. The fact that he's in this movie isn't the amazing part though.  Ozzy's done cameos in lots of movies.  The amazing thing is that you don't see him and he only has one line and it's probably the best line in the whole movie.



Lemme just run the synopsis. Don't worry. It's short.





So, there's this family, right? A big storm comes through and they all hide in the bathroom. The storm presumably destroys their house and traps them in the bathroom where (and it takes nearly halfway through the movie to get to this point) there's clearly something supernatural happening outside.

I think the best way to go through this one is to do a kind of good/bad list. Just because this movie had a lot going on in it.

First, The Good



The cast was relatively well chosen. I genuinely felt for some of kind of way about all the characters. Not exactly positive for the most part, but, I don't think I was supposed to feel good about any of them. 

I mean, all the characters were kind of assholes, but I'm fine with that.



And there were some legitimately scary moments. Most of which having nothing to do with anything supernatural. As the dad, Robert(Healy), became more and more unhinged as the movie went on, I was really starting to worry that he was just going to kill all of them in the end. 

(Spoiler alert. He doesn't.)


So, side note: I don't typically go for 'Trapped inna Closet' type horror movies.  What I mean are the "OMG-IM-TRAPPED-IN-A-COFFIN-SURROUNDED-BY-SHARKS-IN THE MIDDLE-OF-NOWHERE-AND-WOLVES-ARE-GOING-TO-EAT-ME-IF-I-JUMP-OFF-THIS-SKI-LIFT" kinds of movies. Usually because there's nothing really scary about them to me. A person is trapped somewhere and we spend two hours watching the same people in the same scene slowly go crazy. I'm not into it.


However, I will say that the added supernatural content of this film definitely shook things up a bit in a lot of great ways...



The Bad


There's no follow through. Like, okay, we don't ever see the monster (save for its tongue) and that's fine, but there aren't very many follow up scares involving the monster. I mean, there are a couple of things like we hear some kind of gunfight between what we assume is the military and the unseen monster, and maybe some rumbling here and there, but that's really all we get.


The majority of the scares are carried by the cast and some suggestion of maybe some things happening. If the writing had been a hair better that might've been enough, but, meh.




There's also a lot of not explaning going on in this movie. Like, I don't mind that in horror you don't have to explain every little detail. You can, however, take the opportunity to make it a little scarier by giving us just a touch more and explaning away an off screen death.

Maybe a bigger budget would have helped?

But, the most egregious thing was just that there was very little cohesiveness in the story. Like a Detroit Gas Station/Liquor store it really felt like the filmmakers weren't sure what type of horror movie they wanted to make. Is this a psychological horror? Is it a gorey horror movie? Is this a demonic horror movie?


Yeah, the focus for this movie was all over the place, which is a shame, because it was ALMOST a good movie. 












So. Yeah. I can't give it a jewel-jewel. But I guess I can it a pink jewel.


Okay, so next week's movie! Black Box!  Hope it takes place in more than one venue!

See you next week!

O~
  *











No comments:

Post a Comment