Sunday, February 13, 2022

Getting Mind Spanked on a Bridge

 

Hey, hey, Horror Nuts!  Welcome to another edition of WTFHM!

So, this week, we're covering the good old fashioned Asian-ghost-girl-curse movie with a side of mindfuckery, which is a thing I had no idea I needed until now.  Because while I, for one, love a good Asian-ghost-girl-curse movie as much as the next girl, I really love a good twisty type plot to go with it.  Because folks, if I'd said it once, I've said it a million times:



And in the way of movies, it's one of the things that I look for, more or less in a lot of movies. Mostly because I like being surprised by them, which, these days, is kind of tricky...mostly because I watch too many horror movies.



But if you can get me, even a little bit, then that's a thing I'm usually into. Anyway...

This week's movie!



The Bridge Curse starring Ning Chang, Cheng Ko, J.C. Lin., Summer Meng, Vera Yen, Wa-Ru Zen...and...

We're totally missing at least one more name, but that was all IMDB had on this one, so, yeah.

Aaanyway...quick synop time!


Once upon a time there were some college friends who decided to do a "courage test" on the infamous cursed bridge near their university. See, the bridge was cursed by a young woman who killed herself after being dumped by her boyfriend. 



So, the test goes like this. One guy sits on the bridge blindfolded. He's sitting on a chair that's rigged with a bell and when his friends ring the bell, he's supposed to walk across the bridge and up the stairs without turning around. And this all has to happen on a leap year day at midnight. The friends of course do this and, of course, systematically get picked off.



So, this movie has all your typical ghost girl scares that we've all come to expect. Ghostly long haired spooky girl, lots of water, wet hair in drains and spreading around walls and ceilings. Pretty garden variety stuff.





Where this movie shines is in the presentation.  The special effects were pretty chilling to be honest.




The mindfuckery comes in the storytelling. We learn about the friends from two different perspectives and timelines. Given that the curse happens every leap year, or ever four years, we're introduced to the story by a reporter investigating the last known case back in 2016.



The story is also told from the perspective of the victims. We follow them as they live the terror in past and the reporter investigates in present day.  And that's the way it goes until, well...we find out that the curse is, well, an actual curse.


Remember that time you watched
The Ring for the first time and when the protag laid little Samara (or Sadako, depending on which version you saw) to rest and you thought, "Oh, great! The ghost is happy now and the problem is solved and everyone can live happily ever after" and then this happened:



And then your stomach dropped because you realized that what the protags were actually dealing with was an ACTUAL CURSE AND CURSES DON'T JUST GO AWAY CUZ YOUR NICE TO THEM.

I mean, yeah, I know, with this movie, we did see it on the door on the way in being that it's called The Bridge Curse, but still.


This is one movie I don't want to spoil for you guys. Like, it seems pretty straight forward for most of the movie, but that last act hits like a ton of bricks and if I had to put it all together, I'm not doing it alone.


So, the big question.  Did I like this one?  Well, yes!  Of course I did.


This was a nice surprise. I mean, it isn't without it's plot holes, of course, but as I've said many times before, this is horror and:


And for what it is, it's still pretty good.

Next week's Movie! After looking at the guy looking back at me from the movie poster for weeks on Hulu, we're checking out Spell!  

See you next week!

O~
  *






















No comments:

Post a Comment