Sunday, September 8, 2019

A Very Special Will Twerk for Horror Movies...





Hidey-Ho all! Welcome back to another week of WTFHM!


This week is going to be a short one because I have an announcement that I wasn’t really planning on making. After some reflection, though, I figured this might be a great opportunity and platform to let you guys know a few things.




So, I don’t really talk about my personal stuff online, mainly because, well, it’s personal. That being said, I never really intended on posting anything about this, mainly because as far as WTFHM is concerned, nothing is going to change.

BUT some of you who are in Michigan and do come around to the library from time to time might be wondering why I’m not there anymore after today. Well, folks, that’s because I’ve accepted a position as Community Engagement Librarian at the Taylor Community Library in Taylor, MI.




Hold on. Don’t freak out. Like I said, nothing is going to change for WTFHM. I’m only at the H’s and the library is only right around the corner from me. I still intend on getting to the end of Ferndale Library’s horror movie collection. Perhaps in the future, I’ll be getting into Taylor’s collection next.



I wanted to say a few words, however, about libraries in general and the library that I have worked for the past two years.




Being my first go around with a library position, I have come to find the work rewarding in more ways than I ever actually imagined. I came into this position expecting nothing. What I gained, in addition to experience in my chosen field, was a dozen or so irreplaceable friendships and a reminder that humanity is not lost so long as libraries still exist. I can honestly say that I’ve learned a lot from every job I’ve ever had, but this has been the only one where I will walk away a better person than I was when I arrived.


Libraries are magical places filled with knowledge, serenity, joy and an endless fount of positive energy. It is a place of safety, community and it is the one place in the world where a person can simply exist without any of the normal consequences of public spaces. (You know, like when you have to buy something to use the services of an establishment?)

These last two years I have learned to listen, to engage, to connect and to genuinely enjoy the company of other human beings. For that, I believe libraries to be our greatest treasure.




So, no movie this week because, well, I just didn’t have time to watch one. With everything going on and getting ready to start a new job, it has to be put off until next Sunday. I hope you guys can live without my ramblings until then.


‎”The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries.”

-- Kurt Vonnegut


--O~
    *

No comments:

Post a Comment