Sunday, April 26, 2020

This Week on Supernatural



Hidey Ho, Horror Nuts and welcome to another WTFHM!


So...
Guess who forgot to post last week.




I'm really sorry guys. Blame it on the quarantine. I can barely keep track of days anymore. :(


Well, this week, we’re going into an H.P. Lovecraft horror story.



Now, those of you not familiar with the work of H.P. Lovecraft (and I seriously doubt that many of you are unfamiliar with him if you’re reading this blog) he was a horror writer back in the 1800s or so who created Cthulhu




You know Cthulhu. This guy?



Yeah, lots and lots of horror filmmakers have made many, many, many, many movies over the years based on his work – primarily, the Cthulhu mythos

All that might be pretty interesting except for the fact that no one ever follows the actual story that the movie came from. Like, ever. Most Lovecraftian adaptations are set in modern times and just barely contain anything of the original story…except for the star of the show, you guessed it…



That being said, this week’s movie! 



The Dunwich Horror starring Sarah Lieving, Griff Furst, Dean Stockwell, Jeffrey Combs, Natacha Itzel, Leigh Scott, Lauren Michele, Lacey Minchew, and M. Steven Felty.




That’s right, old heads, you read that correctly. If you remember Quantum Leap, or about half a dozen movies and tv shows in the eighties, you remember Dean Stockwell.



So, of the Lovecraftian adaptations, this one is actually kind of sticks to the original story…kind of…



The original story goes like this; A woman has two sons from a demon father…



Wait. Sorry. That was a spoiler in the original story, as it turns out. Not that it matters here because like I said--



Anyway, in the original story, this woman gives birth to Wilbur Whately, who is taught the ways of black magic. Meanwhile, an unseen force grows to an enormous size and fills the house. Whately goes to a university to find the Necronomicon—



Yeah, that Necronomicon. So, he goes there to get it, gets mauled by a guard dog and dies. Meanwhile, the thing in his house breaks out and lays waste to mankind.



So, how does this movie measure up? Actually, this one is pretty close to the original story.


I know what I said, but hey, it was bound to happen. Somebody actually decided to do a Lovecraftian story that isn’t all that far from the original.

Except…



Well, it's just that this was a tv movie and as such, it…I mean...it was H.P. Lovecraft if he wrote for television.

Try to imagine the cast of Charmed battling against an ancient evil with a spellbook…



Okay, so that’s basically Charmed. And Buffy. And Supernatural



I'm saying, Dr. Armitage (Stockwell) has magical powers. Actual, magical powers that no one explains.



There are ancient artifacts. Artifacts that appear and are never brought up again.


Ancient demon books. 


Witches, demons, and monsters…

I was legit waiting for the next episode to find out Dr. Armitage's origin story or what the weird, glowy puzzle box thing was about. This movie could have a great low budget CW show for real.

The big question is whether or not this particular formula worked at all and, well…



It did. I was legit entertained. I hope somebody DOES make a CW show out of this movie. I will be all the way here for that.

So, yeah, a jewel for this one.  The fact of it as that this was a good flick, even if it was just another episode of Supernatural.



Next week! So, I had a little mishap with my hoopla account in that…I hit my limit of borrowing titles. Hey, don't judge me. I’ve been busy.

So, next week’s movie is going to be something from my own personal resource – Shudder.com. The movie? We are What We Are. It's a warm fuzzy story about cannibals!

See you next time!

O~
*

1 comment: